Dr. Fabio H. Santos
Freie Universität Berlin
Sociology - Prof. Costa
Rüdesheimer Str. 54-56
My office hours will be held digitally until further notice. Small questions are answered by email, but I also offer office hours via Webex. Please contact me if you wish to talk via Webex, and please indicate the reason/topic of our meeting.
I supervise MA theses in my areas of expertise (see personal profile) and of students who have succesfully completed one of my courses. Only in exceptional cases will I co-supervise students from outside the Institute for Latin American Studies. From all students wishing to work with me, I expect a research draft (1-2 pages) and, in a second step, a more detailed project outline (8-10 pages).
- Doctorate (Sociology, dissertation: "Bridging Fluid Borders. Entanglements in the French-Brazilian Borderland", summa cum laude), Freie Universität Berlin, 2019
- M.A. (Sociology - European Societies), Freie Universität Berlin, 2015
- B.A. (European Ethnology, Cultural History and Theory), Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2013
- Postdoctoral researcher and lecturer, Sociology, Institute for Latin American Studies, Freie Universität Berlin, since 2019
- Guest Professor for International Development, Institute for International Development, University of Vienna, Spring and Autumn 2020
- Doctoral student at the International Research Training Group "Between Spaces. Movements, Actors and Representations of Globalization", Institute for Latin American Studies, Freie Univerität Berlin, 2016-2019
- Student Assistant, Chair of Sociology, Institute for Latin American Studies, Freie Universität Berlin, 2014-2015
- Student Assistant, Dahlem Research School, Freie Universität Berlin, 2013-2014
- Student Assistant, Language Center, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2011-2012
Fellowships, Awards, Prizes
- Several DAAD-sponsored scholarships for travels abroad (2013, 2019, 2020)
- Fellowship at the International Research Training Group "Between Spaces. Movements, Actors and Representations of Globalization", Scholarship by the German Research Foundation, 2016-2019
- Best Paper Award, World Congress of the Association for Borderlands Studies, 2018
- Research stay at the Laboratoire d’Excellence “Observatoire Hommes-Milieux Oyapock” in Cayenne, Scholarship by CNRS, 2017
- Research stay, Columbia University, New York City, 2017
- Research stay, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Centro de Investigación y Estudios Superiores en Antropología Social and El Colegio de México, Mexico City, 2017
- Research stay and language training, Fast Forward Language Institute and Universidade de São Paulo, 2015-2016
- Research stay and language training, Eurocentres and Bibliothèque nationale de France, La Rochelle and Paris, 2015
- Scholarship by the German Academic Scholarship Foundation, 2014-2015 (MA) and 2015-2016 (PhD preparation)
- Scholarship by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Deutschlandstipendium), 2013-2014
- Scholarship for Global and Sustainable Development ASA, Quito, 2013
- Erasmus scholarship, London Metropolitan University, 2010-2011
Memberships, Professional and Volunteer Functions
- Speaker of the section "Brazil in global context", ADLAF, since 2020
- Mentor of ArbeiterKind.de, an organization supporting first generation university students, since 2020
- Member of the Curriculum Planning Committee, Institute for Latin American Studies, since 2019
- Co-editor of the journal Critical Reviews on Latin American Research, since 2018
- Ad-hoc consultant of the selection committee, German Academic Scholarship Foundation, since 2018
- Reviewer for several journals (Critical Reviews on Latin American Research; FORMA Revista d’Humanitats; Space and Culture, CeMig Centre for Global Migration Studies Working Paper Series), since 2018
- Member of the Institute for Brazilian Studies, Freie Universität Berlin, since 2016
- Member of several scientific associations: ABS, ADLAF, DGS, ISA, dgv
- Member of the Committee for safeguarding good study conditions, Department of Political and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, 2014-2015
- Federal Foreign Office, Berlin, 2013
- Goethe-Institute, Berlin (2010) and Madrid (2013)
- NGO SIGVOL, Quito, 2012
- Médecins sans Frontières, Berlin, 2011
- NGO Barcelona Voluntària, 2008-2009
Winter term 2020/21
Summer term 2020
Critical and Feminist Geographies (University of Vienna)
Winter term 2019/20
Borders and Belongings (FU Berlin)
Wissenschaftspraxis I (FU Berlin)
Summer term 2019
Concluded doctoral project
"Bridging Fluid Borders. Entanglements in the French-Brazilian Borderland"
Advisors: Prof. Dr. Sérgio Costa (FU Berlin), Prof. Dr. Manuela Boatcă (Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg)
Funding: German Research Foundation (German-Mexican Graduate School "Between Spaces", 2016-2019)
- Sociological Theory (Postcolonial Theory, Sociology of Space and Borders, Gender Theory and Intersectionality)
- Global and transregional histories of entanglement with a focus on Latin America, Europe and Africa
- Conflicts and Inequalities
- Critical Research into Borders and Migration
- Decolonial Urban Studies
- Qualitative Social Research (especially ethnographic methods)
The planning for the participatory art project "Hostile Terrain 94" is currently suspended due to the pandemic. Updates can be accessed via this link: Undocumented Migration Project.
Peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters
2021 (accepted, in press). Outermost Migrations: Linking French Guiana to the “European Refugee Crisis”. In De-Linking – Critical Thought and Radical Politics, edited by Manuela Boatcă. London: Routledge.
2021 (accepted, in press). The Oyapock River Bridge as a one-way-street: (un)bridgeable inequalities in Saint-Georges and Oiapoque. In Twin Cities across Five Continents: Interactions and Tensions on Urban Borders, edited by Ekaterina Mikhailova and John Garrard. London: Routledge.
2020. Von Zentralafrika nach Brasilien und Französisch-Guyana: Transnationale Migration, Globale Ungleichheit und das Streben nach Hoffnung. In Global Processes of Flight and Migration. The Explanatory Power of Case Studies / Globale Flucht- und Migrationsprozesse. Die Erklärungskraft von Fallstudien, edited by Eva Bahl and Johannes Becker. Göttingen: Göttingen University Press, 63-82.
2020. From French Guiana to Brazil: Entanglements, Migrations and Demarcations of the Kaliña. Espace Populations Sociétés 2020/1-2. [Special Issue "Identification, visibilité et reconnaissance des populations autochtones : quels enjeux géographiques ?", edited by Frédéric Dumont, Eric Glon, and Bastien Sepúlveda].
2020. Crisscrossing the Oyapock River: Entangled Histories and Fluid Identities in the French-Brazilian Borderland. In Migrants, Refugees, and Asylum Seekers in Latin America, edited by Raanan Rein, Stefan Rinke, and David Sheinin. Leiden: Brill, 217-241.
2019. Entangled Spaces: Towards a Conceptual Lens in Spatial and Postcolonial Studies. In Giros espacio-temporales: Repensando los entrelazamientos globales desde América Latina, edited by Diana Marisol Hernández Suárez, Luis Aguirre, Carolin Loysa, Brenda Macías Sánchez and Joanna Moszczynska. Berlin: Walter Frey, 21-46.
2017. Re-mapping Europe. Field notes from the French-Brazilian borderland. InterDisciplines. Journal of History and Sociology 8 (2): 173-201. [Special Issue "Done with Eurocentrism? Directions, Diversions, and Debates in History and Sociology", edited by Mahshid Mahar and Yaatsil Guevara].
2017. Fließende Grenzen in einer postkolonialen Welt: Ethnografische Erkundungen an einer europäischen Außengrenze in Lateinamerika. Geschlossene Gesellschaften, edited by Stephan Lessenich.
2013. Fotografie als Gegenstand und Methode der Ethnologie. In Update in Progress. Beiträge zu einer ethnologischen Medienforschung, edited by Falk Blask, Joachim Kallinich and Sanna Schondelmayer. Berlin: Panama Verlag, 142–151.
Reviews and review articles
2019. Review of Locating Guyane (Sarah Wood and Catriona MacLeod). Peripherie 155/155, 327–329.
2019. Review of Twin Cities. Urban Communities, Borders and Relationships over Time (John Garrard and Ekaterina Mikhailova). Cross-Border Review, Yearbook 2018, ed. by James Scott. Budapest: CESCI, 140-141.
2017. Grenzen der Zugehörigkeit. Soziologische Revue 41 (2): 269–277. [Review article of Borderlands by Michel Agier and The Headscarf Debates by Anna C. Korteweg and Gökce Yurdakul].
2017. Costa, Sérgio: Dilemmas of Inter-American Anti-Racism: Re-Visiting ‘on the Cunning of Imperialist Reason.’ In The Routledge Companion to Inter-American Studies, edited by Wilfried Raussert. London: Routledge, 338–349.
Work in progress
Journal article (in Brazilian Portuguese) about mobility inequalities in the French-Brazilian borderland (submitted, currently under review, Confins – Revue franco-brésilienne de géographie / Revista franco-brasileira de geografia)
Journal article on a new conceptualization of space considering postcolonial and intersectional approaches (in preparation, Current Sociology).
Book article in an edited volume of the CRC "Re-Figuration of Spaces" (Routledge).
Book based on my dissertation: "Bridging Fluid Borders: Entanglements in the French-Brazilian Borderland".
Presentations (recent and upcoming)
Where and what is Europe? On an unresolved sociological problem. Plenary speech to be held at the 40th Congress of the German Sociological Association, Technical University of Berlin (online), September 15, 2020.
Politics of Exclusion in Brazil: Intersectional Responses to Bolsonaro (Session Organizer). To be organized for the IV ISA Forum of Sociology (RC05 Racism, Nationalism, Indigeneity and Ethnicity), Porto Alegre, July 14-18, 2020.
The Production of Illegality and Inequality in "Caribbean Europe": Mobilities, Borders and Coloniality. To be held at the IV ISA Forum of Sociology (RC31 Sociology of Migration), Porto Alegre, July 14-18, 2020.
Entangled Histories: Cross-Border Biographies from the Guianas. To be held at the IV ISA Forum of Sociology (RC56 Historical Sociology), Porto Alegre, July 14-18, 2020. Co-authored by Gérard Collomb.
Outermost Migrations at the Borders of Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean: French Guiana’s Role in Migration Crises. To be held at CALAS Maria Sibylla Merian Center, Plataforma para el Diálogo (“Crisis migratorias en las fronteras de América Latina”), Guadalajara, Mexico, May 11-12, 2020.
Social Movements, Resistance, Leftist Alternatives (Panel Chair). To be chaired at the International Symposium "The Conservative Backlash: Brazil in Comparative Perspective", Freie Universität Berlin, February 17-18, 2020.
Re-thinking migration from the margins: Migratory trajectories to French Guiana. Delivered at the International Conference Exile – Flight – Persecution, University of Göttingen, November 28-30, 2019.
Border crossings at the juncture of ‘Europe’, Amazonia and the Caribbean. Delivered at the 44thAnnual Conference of the Caribbean Studies Association: The Caribbean in Times of Tempest, Santa Marta, Colombia, June 3-7, 2019.
Coloniality and EU borders in the Caribbean (Panel Chair).Delivered at the 44thAnnual Conference of the Caribbean Studies Association: The Caribbean in Times of Tempest, Santa Marta, Colombia, June 3-7, 2019.
Unveiling Guyane’s Migratory and Economic Delinkings. Delivered at the 43rd Annual Conference on the Political Economy of the World-System: De-Linking - Critical Thought and Radical Politics, University of Freiburg, April 11-13, 2019.
(Un-)bridgeable inequalities in the French-Brazilian borderland. Delivered at the International Conference: Circulations, Migrations et Frontières dans les Guyanes. Université de Guyane, November 7-9, 2018.
Bridging the fluid border between France and Brazil: The Oyapock borderland in times of transformation. Delivered at the 2nd World Conference of the Association for Borderlands Studies: Border-Making and its Consequences: Interpreting Evidence from the ‘post-Colonial’ and ‘post-Imperial’ 20th Century, University of Vienna, June 10-11, 2018.
Re-thinking Migration in Latin America from its Margins: On French Guiana and other Conundrums of Geography. Delivered at the joint research workshop organized by Freie Universität Berlin and Tel Aviv University: Migrants, Refugees and Asylum Seekers: Re-thinking Migration to Latin America and the New Ethnic Studies, Berlin, April 20, 2018.
Bridging fluid borders: Entanglements in the French-Brazilian borderland (poster presentation). Delivered at the Conference of the Society of Caribbean Research: Rethinking Europe from the Caribbean: Entanglements and Legacies, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, April 12-15, 2018.
French-Brazilian Entanglements: Insights from a Rarely Studied Borderland. Delivered at the International Congress of the Latin American Studies Association: Latin American Studies in a Globalized World, Barcelona, May 23-26, 2018.
Entrelaçamentos transfronteiriços: Um olhar sociológico. Delivered at the Universidade Federal do Amapá, Campus Binacional, Oiapoque, November 18, 2017.
Frontières postcoloniales: La Guyane et ses interdépendences transrégionales. Delivered at the German-French Summer School organized by CIERA and Centre Marc Bloch: La frontière | Die Grenze, Moulin d’Andé, July 3-7, 2017.
The wall in disguise: Bridging the Oyapock River. Delivered at the 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Borderlands Studies: Bridges or Walls? The Case for Open Borders in the XXI Century, San Francisco, April 12-15, 2017.
Fließende Grenzen in einer postkolonialen Welt: Ethnographische Erkundungen an einer europäischen Außengrenze in Lateinamerika. Delivered at the 38th Congress of the German Sociological Association: Closed Societies. September 26-30, 2016.
Spatial Analysis at the Fringes of Europe: Field Notes from French Guiana. Delivered at the 9th International Conference on Social Science Methodology, International Sociological Association RC 33 Conference: Logic and Methodology in Sociology, University of Leicester, September 11-16, 2016.