Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Questions about going abroad

Your first address should be the LAI website "Internationales". Furthermore, you can visit the website of the Akademischen Auslandsamtes. Here you can find information about the ERASMUS program. If you need help organizing an internship abroad you can talk to the Career Service. On the DAADs website you can find important information about scholarships and financing. Here you can find the LAI contact persons.

You should inform yourself very well about the types of classes, requirements and exams that you will be taking abroad as well as the study program offer. Before going abroad you will have to talk to your potential Master's thesis advisor, a Head of your profile, or the coordination team to make sure which courses you will take and see whether you can receive credits for them later. The credits for internships and field research will be given as part of the module "Wissenschaftspraxis I".

Short-term internships or field research should be done during the semester vacations. If you plan on going abroad for a complete semester this should be done in your 3rd semester of the master when you also take the module Wissenschaftspraxis I. You will have to talk to the responsible contact person from your profile, your advisor and the master coordination team in order to organize your time abroad well.

You should choose a university abroad that fits your interests for your master thesis. The FU Direktaustausch program cooperates with five different universities in Latin America and allows an easier access. This direct exchange program also includes that you don't have to pay any tuition fees at the university abroad. The Latin American Institute has a cooperation agreement with more universities, however those are not free of tuition. You can also organize an exchange on your own at any university you want but keep in mind that you might have to pay fees and that the communication might be more difficult.

Even though the ERASMUS program is focussed on going abroad within Europe it might be a useful opportunity depending on your master thesis topic. There are also more universities in Europe that offer programs that also focus on Latin America, it really depends on your personal study focus. Another option is an internship in Europe that can also be financially supported by the ERASMUS program.

We strongly recommend to plan your stay abroad with regard to your master thesis and arrange it in advance including talking to the responsible contact persons of your profile, your advisor and the master coordination team to make sure to consider the study and examination regulations. It is useful to plan a field research in a place where you can realize your project and where you have contacts in order to advance your master thesis.

When you apply for a semester abroad at one of our partner universities you need to show your bachelor's degree. The deadlines are usually between february and april. So technically the bachelor's degree can be hand in a bit later but because the time between the application and the nomination is quite short you will need to show a proof that you've already finished and passed all courses in order to receive the bachelor's degree and turn it in shortly after.

You will need at least one letter of recommendation written by a FU-professor or acadademic staff. If you wish to do so you can also hand in a second letter of recommendation from someone from a different university.

There is a language certificate that has been specifically developed for the Direktaustausch-program with Latin American universities. It's not the same as the DAAD certificate. This language certificate needs to be sent when applying and can be done at the Freie Universität's Sprachenzentrum. There are fixed dates every semester to do the exam in order to get the certificate. It is free of charge. However, you can also use an official language certificate from the Instituto Cervantes as well as proof of native language (it has to be clear in your CV that you lived and grew up in a country where the language is spoken). Proof of language skills through a study program such as Romance studies or Latin American Studies can not replace the language certificate and won't be accepted.

Yes! You can do a semester on leave (Urlaubssemester) if you plan on studing abroad, doing an internship or field research. You will still be able to receive your credit points.