The M.A. „Interdisciplinary Latin American Studies“ is a research-oriented postgraduate course of study which is intended for students with a first diploma with professional relevance in a relevant course of field. It offers the possibility of broadening the studied major on a regionally specific level as well as attaining interdisciplinary competences. The course of study, which lasts a total of four semesters, begins in the winter semester.
At a glance: The M.A. offers:
- a link of regional expertise with a methodology specific to a particular subject
- interdisciplinary linkage as well as disciplinary consolidation
- internationality via the possibility of a semester abroad
- real-life relevance via the project module
- research or professional practice via the module scientific practice
The course of study stands in the interdisciplinary tradition of teaching and research at the Institute of Latin American Studies. In view of increasing global interdependencies, it aims to impart regional and intercultural competences that allow students an in-depth understanding of national, transregional and global processes. Students will be qualified to analyze historical, political and societal transformation processes and Latin America’s dynamics and to allocate them to their respective contexts. Based on the concept of Area Studies, a distinct regional specific expertise is imparted. Correspondingly, students will have the possibility to look more intensively into individual regions such as Brazil. Gender specific queries will also receive special consideration.
Using transdisciplinary forms of teaching and learning as well as new media in teaching (e-learning), the different traditions and perspectives of various disciplines will be implemented in the program. The course of study also offers the students an interdisciplinary academic exchange as well as intensive supervision which will ease the integration of foreign students.
Organization and goals
The consecutive M.A. is modularized. It consists of a core area, a specialization area, an area of research practice and an elective area. Each module includes two courses. The aim of the program is the acquirement or consolidation of academic and interdisciplinary knowledge and competences with professional relevance which enable a future occupation in a wide field both inside and outside of the university, for example:
- international relations (development cooperation, advising in foreign affairs, international organizations, non-governmental organizations);
- education (university, research institutes, adult education);
- media (newspapers and media, publishing industry, libraries, public relations, archival work);
- culture (museums, intercultural exchange, tourism);
- foundations, associations, etc.
The research-oriented profile allows the well-founded preparation for a later Ph.D. program.
The M.A. prepares students to analyze and interpret historical, political, and social processes and cultural dynamics, as well as to allocate these to their corresponding context. Besides Latin American regional competence, intercultural questions and topics in gender studies will also be attended to.