Since 2002 Prof. Dr. Marianne Braig is Professor of Political Science with a focus on Latin America at Freie Universität Berlin. She is a member of the Institute Council of the Institute for Latin American Studies in the Department of Political and Social Sciences. Her research and publications range widely with a focus on gender segmentation in labor markets and social policy, on the transformation and development of Latin America, on relations between Latin America and Europe, on state political culture and governance, as well as on intertwined and interdependent inequalities in the global context.
Roles related to projects and research networks:
- Spokesperson (with Prof. Dr. Stefan Rinke) of the International Research Training Group (Internationale Graduiertenkolleg (IGK)) “Between Spaces: Movements, Actors and Representations of Globalization”, a bilateral project funded by the German Research Foundation DFG, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), and the National Council Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT). Mexican institutions (the College of Mexico, the Center for Research and Advanced Studies in Social Anthropology CIESAS, the Autonomous University of Mexico, UNAM) and German institutions (Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Universität Potsdam and Freie Universität Berlin) cooperate in this program.
In the IGK, Marianne Braig is conducting a research project together with Carlos Alba (Colegio de México) on "The City of Mexico as a transnational space of entanglement".
- Spokesperson (with Sergio Costa and Barbara Göbel) of desiguALdades.net, the international interdisciplinary research network funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) that focuses on issues of intertwined and interdependent inequalities in Latin America in a global context. The following institutions are involved in desiguALdades.net along with Freie Universität Berlin: the Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut (IAI) by Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin; the German Institute for Development Policy (DIE), Bonn, and GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, Hamburg. Marianne Braig was in charge of the former Research Dimension 3: Socio-political Inequalities and now works with a team of researchers investigating questions regarding the limits of distribution and redistribution of resources.
- Under the Collaborative Research Center (SFB) 700 "Governance in Areas of Limited Statehood" at Freie Universität Berlin, Marianne Braig is director (with Günther Maihold) of the 'Security and Governance in Latin America' section. The SFB is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
2012-2015: Spokesperson (with Martha Zapata) of the international project 'Measures for social inclusion and equity in Higher Education Institutions in Latin America' (MISEAL) (Funding EU-ALFA III: Latin America - Academic Training). This project is conducted in cooperation with 12 Latin American and 4 European universities. She received the Margherita von Brentano 2013 award for her collaboration in this project.
2012-2015: Director of the exchange project with Mexico, of scientific personnel involved in joint projects PROALMEX: "Research for sustainable and gender-sensitive environment in Latin America”, in cooperation with the Universidad Veracruzana in the Xalapa region (funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT).
2004-2013: Representative of the research group "Paths of Knowledge - Transregional Studies” (Wege des Wissens -Transregionale WIKO Studien) at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (Funding: Berlin State Government).
2008-2012: Directed (with Anne Huffschmid) the research project: 'Memory in der Megacity: Erinnerung, Unbanität und Geschlecht in Lateinamerika (Mexiko-Stadt und Vergleich Buenos Aires)' in cooperation with Elisabeth Jelin (IDES, Buenos Aires) and Teresa Carbó (CIESAS, Mexico City), (Funding: Fritz Thyssen Foundation).
2004-2008: Research Fund Spokesperson: “Paths of Knowledge-Transregional Studies”, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin, funded by the Berlin State Government.
2002-2011: Academic Director of the Central Council for Promoting Research in Gender Studies at Freie Universität Berlin.
2001-2002: Spokesperson of the Research Training Group: "Public Sphere and Gender Relations. Dimensions of Experience", at Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt and Universität Kassel.
Since 2002: Professor of Political Science with a focus on Latin America at Freie Universität Berlin
1997-2002: Professor of Political Science at the Institute for Comparative Studies and International Relations at Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
1999: Postdoctoral Lecture Qualification in Political and Social Sciences at Freie Universität Berlin
1989: Doctorate in Sociology (summa cum laude), Freie Universität Berlin 1977-1978: Studies in Political Science, Anthropology and History at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
1977: Degree (double mayor in Economics and Sociology) at Freie Universität Berlin
Fellowships and Awards:
2013: Margherita von Brentano Award for outstanding achievements in the advancement of women studies and gender research, Freie Universität Berlin
2013-2014: Fellow at the Colegio de México, Mexico City
2009: Visiting Professor at the Colegio de México, Mexico City
2006: Visiting Scholar at Universidade de São Paulo (USP) with funding from: Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
1999: Visiting Scholar in Santiago de Chile with funding from: German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
1993: Visiting Scholar at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City, with funding from: German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Membership and special collaboration in scientific institutions:
In Freie Universität Berlin:
• Board of Trustees (Kuratorium) (since 2008)
• Excellence Council (Excellenzrat) (since 2009)
• Executive Board, Center for Area Studies (CAS) (since 2008)
• Standing Committee of the Dahlem Research School (DRS) (since 2009)
• Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies (BTS) (since 2011)
• Graduate School of North American Studies (GSNAS) (since 2009)
• Speaker of the Security Section of the Collaborative Research Center (SFB) 700 "Governance in Areas of Limited Statehood" (since 2006)
Beyond Freie Universität Berlin:
• Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
• German Association for Research on Latin America (ADLAF)
• German Association of Sociologists
Beyond Freie Universität Berlin (Previous):
• Advisory Board of the North-South Commission of the Heinrich Böll Foundation (2006-2013)
• Gender Studies Program (PUEG), Scientific Council of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
• Council of the German Foundation for International Development (DSE / ZGB)
• Board Member for Research, Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften (since 2005)
• Council of the German Foundation for International Development (DSE / ZGB)
• Committee of Experts / the American Institute of Berlin (2003-2009)
• Member of the board of the German Association for Research on Latin America ADLAF (2002 -2004)
• Co-editor of Revista Iberoamericana America - Spain - Portugal. "Essays on Literature, History and Society" (2000-2005)
Reviewer and evaluator:
• Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
• German Research Society (DFG)
• German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
• Volkswagen Foundation
• Fritz Thyssen Foundation
• Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
• Bertelsmann Foundation
• Swiss National Fund
• Austria Science Fund (FWF)
• Evaluation of the Department of Anthropology, Utrecht University, Netherlands
In the framework of international cooperation:
• German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
• Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
• Capacity Building International Germany (InWEnt)
• United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
• United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)