Political science teaching at the Institute for Latin American Studies concerns mainly the following topics: democratization, statehood, social movements, political cultures, development policy and theory, integration and disintegration, as well as with the increasing importance of trans-border processes and “globalization from below”.
Courses and seminars provide both specific knowledge about countries, regions, places and their interconnections, as well as competence in theory and methodology, particularly with forms of knowledge production in Latin America. Special attention is paid to the analysis of gender-specific and ethnic asymmetries.
Political science at the Institute for Latin American Studies participates in instruction offered at the Otto-Suhr-Institute for Political Science at the Department of Political and Social Sciences, as part of the following programs of study:
- B.A. 30-credit module “Latin American Studies”
- B.A. Political Science
- M.A. Interdisciplinary Latin America Studies Program
- Specialization Area B: Transformation and development
- Specialization Area D: Gender relations, lifestyle, transformations
M.A. Political Science and International Relations
The KVV (course catalog, in German only) of FU Berlin, Institute for Latin American Studies, informs you about all current programs (lectures, seminars, etc.) in political science.
Once you have registered for courses, you may find the course materials on Blackboard, the education platform of FU Berlin.
Research and Teaching Projects
The Department of Political Science participates intensively in Research and Teaching Projects which test and conduct new forms of collective knowledge production: new teaching and learning methods are put into practice in order to strengthen the cooperation between instructors and students. The results and findings generated in seminars and research trips abroad are discussed and presented to a broader public using social media platforms.
The following projects are the result of the Research and Teaching Projects of the Department of Political Science in cooperation with other disciplines:
- Transnational Autobiographies
- Knowledge Production of Latin American Intellectuals
- Portraits of Researchers in Women and Gender Studies in Latin America
- Project module for the preparation and follow-up of research abroad (research trips, work placements)
- Cultures and power
- Research trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua (March/April 2008)
- Research trip to Mexico City (October 2007)
- Research trip to the border of Mexico and the US (February/March 2006)