One of the primary components of research at the department of sociology at the Latin American Institute are the doctoral projects, which represent the institute’s main areas of work.
- Current PhD research projects (Prof. Dr. Sérgio Costa)
- Completed PhD research projects (Prof. Dr. Sérgio Costa)
Mariana Treviño Riojas: ‘War on drugs’, disappeared people, and resistance strategies in Mexico (2006–2020)
- Lívia de Souza Lima: Back, Female, and Peripheral Representation in the Rio de Janeiro State Assembly (Co-supervisor, Univ. Bielefeld)
- Tori Sinanan: Mapping (under)development: A situational analysis of rural East Trinidad. (member of Minor Cosmpolitanisms)
- Alexandre Nogueira Martins: Decolonial QueerPolitics: Queer Aspirations and Anti-Violence Struggles in Latin America
- Mariana Motta Vivian: Democracies, modernities and the temporalities of future in Latin America: sociological interpretations of contemporary Brazil
- Myriam Sauer: Idioms of the psychic: Decolonial studies on imaginations of the psychic and its societal applications in Brazil, China, and Europe
- Braedyn Ezra Simon: To Belong to Not To Belong? Embodied Borders and the Politics of Sex and Gender Knowledge in Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist Discourses
- Isadora Cardoso: One struggle one fight: intersectional discourses and activisms for climate justice in the Global South
- Anne Ziegler: Afro-indigenous cosmovision, identity negotiation, and the struggle for land – a comparative research of activisms from Brazilian Quilombo and Central American Garifuna communities
Belén Díaz: "Struggles for Hegemony in the 21st Century: The Renewal of the Latin American Right" (member of the International Research Training Group “Temporalities of Future”)
- Elis de Aquino: "The Way to Success: Social Mobility Mechanisms and Individual Strategies of the Poor in Brazil" (member of the International Research Training Group “Temporalities of Future”)
- Krista Lillemets: "Expansion of the Sphere of Citizenship Rights in the Semi-Periphery: Comparing Brazil and Central Eastern Europe Through the Lens of Polanyian “Double Movement”
- Mariana Calcagni, Promovierende Soziologie: Food Justice movements in Latin America and Europe: towards a new food regime - Stipendium: DAAD, Becas Chile.
- Federico Masson, Promovierender Soziologie: Scarcity-Hunger Apparatus’: Constitution of Objects and Subjectivities in Alternative Food Networks.
- Julia von Sigsfeld: " 'Ancestral Knowledges' and Development in Contemporary
Ecuador - Epistemic Struggles and Situated Cosmopolitanisms" (member of RTG Minor Cosmopolitanisms)
- Ernesto Aguilar Carvajal: “El boicot de un orden moderno: estudiando el fracaso del proyecto PRUGAM en Costa Rica”
(sponsored by DAAD)
- Fabio Santos: "Bridging fluid borders: Entangled spaces along the French-Brazilian border" (sponsored by IGP "Entre Espacios")
- Raquel Rojas Scheffer: "Trabajo doméstico remunerado. Desigualdades entrelazadas y organización gremial. Apuntes desde las experiencias uruguaya y paraguaya" (fellow of IGP "Entre Espacios")
- Tabea Sophia Goldboom: "Redefining the role of the state and the market in social security: the impact of transnational coalitions and public-private cooperation in micro-insurance"
- Ana Lucía Fernández Fernández: "Familias transnacionales en Latinoamérica. El caso de mujeres nicaragüenses y colombianas en Costa Rica" (fellow of DAAD-Alecosta; Erste Betreuerin Prof. Dr. Manuela Boatcă).
- Laura Aguirre Hernández: "Konstruktion von Räumen transnationalen Lebens an der Südgrenze Mexikos" (associated PhD-student from the IGP "Entre Espacios"); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 26.07.17.
- Philipp Altmann: "Die Indigenenbewegung in Ecuador als dekolonisierender Akteur - Eine begriffszentrierte Analyse ihres Diskurses"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 26.04.13.
- Alexander Araya López: "Public spaces, stigmatization and media discourses of graffiti practices in Latin American press: Dynamics of symbolic exclusion and inclusion of urban youth" (sponsored by DAAD); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 10.07.14.
- Dr. Jorge Atría: "La pregunta por la desigualdad a la luz de los más desaventajados: percepciones y perspectivas de cohesión social en Chile" (sponsored by Conicyt - Sistema Bicentenario Becas Chile); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 27.10.15.
- Maria Backhouse: "Konflikte um Biokraftstoffe - Eine sozialökologische Mehrebenenanalyse der Konfliktlagen der Biokraftstoffproduktion in Brasilien"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 19.03.14.
- Jairo Baquero Melo: "Layered Inequalities: Collective Land Rights, Global Agribusiness and Resistance in the Lower Atrato Region, Colombia"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 14.04.13.
- Kaciano Barbosa Gadelha: "Gendered Communities: Virtualisierung von Körper und Sexualität in GayRomeo" (sponsored by IGP „Between spaces“); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 10.07.13
- Mayarí Castillo: "Middle Class and Political Participation in Contemporary Chile"; (sponsored by Conicyt); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 10.07.13.
- Javiera Cienfuegos Illanes: "Familien auf Distanz: Die Bildung eines Zwischenraumes als alltägliche Lebensform" (sponsored by IGP „Between spaces“); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 27.06.13.
- Götz Kaufmann: "Environmental Justice and Sustainable Development. With a Case Study in Brazil's Legal Amazon Using Q Methodology"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 05.03.12.
- Claudia Maldonado Graus: “Acontecimiento y transformación política en Chile: un relato desde las desigualdades", PhD thesis was successfully defended on 17.07.17.
- Edna Martínez: "Making the resilience and the existence: Black People in frontiers territories of Colombia and Ecuador and the Palm oil industry"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 23.11.16.
- Mario A. Martínez Cortés: "Interculturality as Epistemic Project in Latin America. A Comparative Study from the Indigenous and Afro-Descendants' Higher Eduaction Initiatives in Brazil and Mexico"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 19.07.17.
- Renata C. Motta: "Contesting GM Crops in Argentina and Brazil" (sponsored by the Research Network desiguALdades.net); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 12.01.2015.
- Airton Adelar Mueller: "Lokales Regieren, Sozialkapital und Entwicklung im Süden von Brasilien" (sponsored by the Protestant Development Service/ Evangelischen Entwicklungsdienstes, EED); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 10.02.14.
- Charlotte Schumann: "Interpreting Law: The Regulation of Previous Consultation in Brazil"; PhD thesis was successfully defended on 19.07.16.
- Anna Skornia: "Entangled Inequalities in Transnational Care Chains. Practices across the Borders of Peru and Italy" (sponsored by the Research Network desiguALdades.net); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 11.02.14.
- Renata Sternberg (formerly known as Stellmann de Sousa Lima): "Romantic love, regional differences and cultural capital: a comparative study between Brazil and Germany" (Stipendiatin der Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), Brasilien); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 03.02.2016.
- Rocío Vera Santos: "Barrios afroecuatorianos en Quito y la articulación de la identidad afroquiteña" (sponsored by DAAD); PhD thesis was successfully defended on 28.08.14.