Springe direkt zu Inhalt


Here you can find answers to questions concerning the stay abroad as well as the stay at the LAI. Please take your time to read the FAQs thoroughly. Should there be any questions please contact international@lai.fu-berlin.de.

If you are a master’s degree student and interested in studying at the Institute for Latin American Studies please follow the steps below:

1. Find a supervisor for your study period abroad and ask your tutor for a letter of supervision approval.

2. You will need following forms for the application:

(available here):

- “Antrag auf Zulassung als Programmstudierende/r an der FU Berlin” (Application for admission)
- “Antrag auf Immatrikulation” (Enrolment application)
- Fact Sheet Academic Year 2020/2021.

Please download these forms and fill in the requested information.

3. In addition to the forms mentioned previously, following forms and documents must be filled out and sent in:

- Copy of examination documents of currently attended university (e.g. transcript of records, revelé des notes)
- Copy (or copies) of degree diplomas (BA, MA, other final examinations)
- Copy of ID or passport
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form
- Letter of supervision approval
- Brief description of study plans/study proposal.

4. You have to hand in the filled out application forms together with corresponding documents at the International Student Mobility – Welcome Services, Studierenden-Service Center (SSC):

Freie Universität Berlin (FU Berlin)
Studierenden-Service-Center (SSC)
Iltisstraße 4
14195 Berlin

5. Submission deadlines: June 1st for winter terms and December 1st for summer terms.

Should you have any questions please contact PD Dr. Martha Zapata (international@lai.fu-berlin.de) at the Institute for Latin American Studies of the Free University of Berlin.

(See Information sheet as a PDF)

Yes, all students must have proof of full health insurance coverage for the respective semester/year before they can enroll at a German university.

For PhD-candidates from EU / EEA countries and Switzerland

Please bring along proof of health insurance (European Health Insurance Card or temporary certificate) from the health insurance in your home country. This proof of health insurance must then be accepted by AOK (“Campus Point Freie Universität”) or by any other legally approved health insurance company in Germany.

Important: Please make sure that your health insurance is valid for the entire semester for which you wish to enroll. At Freie Universität Berlin the winter semester runs from October 1 through March 31, and the summer semester from April 1 through September 30. If you stay for the entire academic year, you must make sure that your proof of insurance from your home country is valid for two semesters (Oct. 1 through Sept. 30). Without the proper dates, neither the AOK nor any other German public health insurence company will accept your insurance proof and you will not be enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin.

For students from other countries:

Public Health Insurance

If you are under 30 years of age and do not have a private health insurance from your home country you must purchase a legally approved health insurance in Germany. It costs about € 80 per month.

In some cases, it is not possible to acquire the public health insurance. In this instance, we recommend private health insurance policies.

Private Health Insurance

Students who have provided for insurance abroad in their home country, or students holding a German private health insurance contract have to get an exemption from the mandatory German public health insurance at one of the insurance companies' branches in Berlin in order to have their own insurance recognized. In cases of illness, the insurance conditions fixed in your insurance policy contract are effective.

Exemption from German state health insurance are not revocable.

Further information can be found on this webpage.

All exchange and program students are exempt from a German language exam (DSH or TestDaF), which is otherwise required for international students studying at a German university. However, depending on the exchange agreement or the conditions of the external scholarship donor, a certain level of German language skills may be required. Generally, in order to follow courses and complete course assessment satisfactorily, German language skills equivalent to at least B1, preferably B2 (CEFR) are recommended.

Freie Universität Berlin does not offer any scholarships unless specified in the exchange agreement between our institution and the student’s home university. Students may apply for a scholarship at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

• Students who are citizens of the following countries do not need a visa in order to enter Germany: member states of the European Union (EU), member states of the European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, San Marino, South Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland, or the USA. Upon arrival in Berlin, citizens of these countries (except EU and EEA) must apply for a residence permit.

• Students who are not citizens of the countries listed above must apply for a visa at their local German Embassy or German General Consulate before coming to Germany.

• It is not possible to study in Germany on a tourist visa.